Strawberries - nature's candy - take center stage in this ghoulish taste on a classic do-it-yourself treat.
- 30 fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Wash strawberries and gently pat with paper towels until
completely dry. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt white chocolate and
shortening at 50% power; stir until smooth. Stir in extract.
- Dip strawberries in chocolate mixture; place on a waxed
paper-lined baking sheet, allowing excess chocolate to form the
ghosts' tails. Immediately press chocolate chips into coating for
eyes. Freeze for 5 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining chocolate chips; stir
until smooth. Dip a toothpick into melted chocolate and draw a
mouth on each face. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.