Who doesn’t love pizza night? But there’s that nagging worry that pizza is a “junk food.” Try this reduced-guilt pie instead.
- Place the beans, pesto, lemon juice and water in the bowl of a
food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Season with
salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (or the temperature indicated on your
prepared pizza crust package).
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add
the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about
7 minutes. Add the crumbled sausage and cook until fully cooked,
about 5 minutes (the time may vary depending on whether the sausage
was precooked or not).
- Spread the bean puree evenly over the two pizza crusts. Top
each with the mushroom and sausage mixture. Top evenly with the
cheese (1 cup per pizza crust).
- Bake according to pizza crust package directions and until the
cheese melts. Cut each pizza into five slices and serve.
- Tip: The bean puree and mushroom/sausage mixture can be
refrigerated or frozen for later use if you only want to make one
pizza at a time.
Nutrition information per serving (1 slice): 320
calories, 12g fat (4.5g saturated), 600mg sodium, 33g
carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 20g protein, 25% calcium, 15%
iron. Used with permission by
WHINE WITH DINNER: 150 Healthy, Kid-Tested Recipes from The Meal