This is a quick, tasty and hydrating meal. Use low-sodium tomatoes and beans to decrease the sodium content in this dish.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a large stock pot over medium heat.
Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add onions and heat through until
translucent or clear.
- Add mushrooms and sauté together. Add tomatoes and water. Bring
to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer; add rosemary and
- Add shredded cabbage or kale leaves to soup. Partially cover
the pot and simmer gently for about 15 minutes, or until cabbage or
kale is tender.
- Drain and rinse beans, add to soup, and warm through for a few
minutes. Taste to see if you need salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and drizzle each with a touch of olive
oil. Serve with crusty whole grain bread, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of The Essential Guide to Healthy Healing
Foods by Victoria Shanta Retelny, RD, LDN.
Nutrition facts per serving: 309
calories, 11 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 g
cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrates, 12 g fiber, 5 g
sugars, 14 g protein, 24% DV iron