Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
This recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com
- 1 (18 pound) whole turkey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 quarts turkey stock
- 8 cups prepared stuffing
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place rack
in the lowest position of the oven.
- Remove the turkey neck and giblets, rinse the turkey, and
pat dry with paper towels. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a
rack in the roasting pan. Loosely fill the body cavity with
stuffing. Rub the skin with the softened butter, and season with
salt and pepper. Position an aluminum foil tent over the
- Place turkey in the oven, and pour 2 cups turkey stock
into the bottom of the roasting pan. Baste all over every 30
minutes with the juices on the bottom of the pan. Whenever the
drippings evaporate, add stock to moisten them, about 1 to 2 cups
at a time. Remove aluminum foil after 2 1/2 hours. Roast until a
meat thermometer inserted in the meaty part of the thigh reads 180
degrees F (80 degrees C), about 4 hours.
- Transfer the turkey to a large serving platter, and let
it stand for at least 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
See more of 's stories here.