- Home >
- Recipes >
- Nut-Free Cinnamon Streusel Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Nut-Free Cinnamon Streusel Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Sour cream coffee cakes are so rich and delicious, but they usually feature a nut-filled topping. I came up with a delicious nut-free alternative—brown sugar and cinnamon streusel.
Special equipment: a 9-inch tube pan with removable bottom.
For the cake:
- 2/3 plus 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 container (16 oz) sour cream
For the nut-free streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter, cold
- In a small bowl, combine streusel ingredients by either rubbing
together with your fingers or using a pastry blender until the
mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9- to 10-inch
tube pan with removable bottom. In small bowl, combine 2/3 cup
sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking
powder, baking soda and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and
remaining 1-3/4 cups sugar until blended, frequently scraping bowl
with rubber spatula. Increase speed to high; beat until light and
fluffy, about 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Reduce speed
to low; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Beat in vanilla.
- Spoon 1/3 of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle about one cup
cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over batter, then top with half of
remaining batter. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup more cinnamon-sugar
mixture; top with remaining batter, then sprinkle with reserved
streusel mixture. Sprinkle more cinnamon-sugar over top of streusel
if desired, for added sparkle and crunch.
- Bake coffee cake until toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. (Check after one hour). Cool in
pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Run thin knife around cake to
loosen from side and center tube of pan; lift tube to separate cake
from pan side. Invert cake onto plate; slide knife under cake to
separate from bottom of pan. Turn cake, streusel side up, onto to
wire rack to cool completely. Serves 16.