Nut-Free Banana Bread
One reader commented recently that this is the best banana bread recipe she ever tried. It is so moist and delicious and unlike many banana bread recipes, it contains no tree nuts. And you won’t miss them!
- 2 -1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (may substitute up to
1 cup of whole wheat flour for the plain flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups mashed, very ripe (but not rotten!) bananas (about 3
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Evenly grease and flour a 9" x
5" loaf pan. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and
baking soda. In small bowl, combine bananas, milk and vanilla.
- In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and
sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Reduce
speed to low; alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture,
beginning and ending with flour mixture, occasionally scraping bowl
with rubber spatula. Beat until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in
center comes out clean, about 1 hour, 10 minutes. (Check after 1
hour for doneness.) Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove
from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf; 16 slices.