This is a great crock pot dish. You can skip the oil and browning of the beef (though it does boost the flavor), and just toss all the ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 to 12 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- Makes 4 to 5 servings
- 1½ pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (13-ounce) can beef broth (preferably reduced sodium)
- 1 cup water, or as needed
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 small baking potatoes (about 6 ounces each), peeled and
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, herbes de Provence or other herb
blend of your choice
- Salt (optional) and pepper to taste
- Heat the beef in the olive oil until browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir, tossing to coat.
Stir in the broth, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the
- Add the remaining ingredients except the salt and the
- Partially cover and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 hours, adding
more water if necessary to keep stew from sticking, or until the
beef is tender and the potatoes are soft enough to be mashed into
- Season with salt and pepper.
See more of 's stories here.