Learn to Love Lentils
From writer Caitlin Murray Giles, who tested this out in her own kitchen: "This recipe is a great way to introduce your family to lentils. I served this rich and flavorful dish alongside grilled salmon and my kids scooped up every last bit with their spoons."
- 1/2 pound lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of leeks (white and light green parts only), chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 or more cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- Bring four cups of water to a boil.
- Pour over lentils in a heat-proof bowl. Let sit for about 15
minutes and drain.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté onion, leeks and thyme for
10 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and sauté for five more
minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another two minutes. Pour in
the white wine and let most of the liquid cook off.
- Add the lentils, chicken stock and tomato paste. Season with
salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.