Potato latkes are an integral part of Hanukkah. The folks at AllRecipes.com have shared their favorite with us.
- 2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup peanut oil for frying
- Place the potatoes in a cheesecloth and wring, extracting
as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl stir the potatoes, onion, eggs, flour
and salt together.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat,
heat the oil until hot. Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture
into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form 1/4 to 1/2 inch
thick patties. Brown on one side, turn and brown on the other. Let
drain on paper towels. Serve hot!