Honey BBQ Chicken
This chicken is a Sunday staple at writer Karyn Bowman's house, where cooking together is half the fun. To read more about Sunday family dinners, click here.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup prepared honey mustard
- ½ tsp. allspice
- ½ tsp. curry
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast (6 to 8 ounces
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Preheat grill pan or griddle over medium heat
- To make the sauce, place a small saucepan over medium heat and
add vegetable oil. Add red onion and sautè, 3-5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and cook to reduce by half, 1-2 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and cook 1 minute to incorporate.
- Whisk in broth, honey mustard, allspice, and curry powder.
Bring sauce to a bubble and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Coat chicken with a drizzle of oil and some salt and
- Place chicken on hot grill and cook 4-5 minutes, then
- Baste chicken liberally with sauce and grill another 5 minutes.
Turn once again and baste. Cook 2-3 minutes more, then transfer
chicken to a platter and serve.
Note: We have found that when we double the meat, we
only need to increase the sauce by one half.