Hearty Beef Stew
This hearty Midwestern classic is full of beef and vegetables. Complete the meal by adding a tossed salad and a dinner roll.
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces and halved or
- 2-3 potatoes, halved or quartered lengthwise
- 1 can (14 ounces) stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Put stew meat, flour, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper
in a large zip-top bag; seal bag. Shake bag to coat meat with flour
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Carefully
place seasoned meat in pot. Cook until well browned, turning as
needed to brown evenly.
- Place onion, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and bay leaf into the
pot. Add enough water to just cover the meat and vegetables. Stir
- Reduce heat to medium; simmer stew for two to three hours or
until meat is tender. Remove bay leaf and serve.