Family favorite fondue
Most classic fondue recipes include a combination of Swiss or Emmenthaler and Gruyere cheese, white wine and cherry brandy. If you want to go the traditional fondue route, give this recipe a try.
- ½ pound good quality Swiss or Emmenthaler cheese, shredded
- ½ pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 clove of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. cherry brandy (called kirsch)
- ½ tsp. dry mustard (optional)
- Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- Combine the cheeses and cornstarch in a plastic bag and shake
to coat all of the pieces.
- Add the wine, lemon juice and crushed garlic clove to a sauce
pot over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Remove the garlic clove from the liquid. Gradually stir the
cheeses into the pot.
- Once the cheese mixture is smooth, stir in cherry brandy,
mustard and nutmeg.
- Transfer the sauce to a fondue pot and serve.