Makes 8 servings
Nutrition per serving: 335 calories, 7 g fat, 37 mg cholesterol, 54 g carbohydrate, 849 mg sodium, 15 g protein, 7 g fiber
6 slices whole-wheat bread
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1 (10 ounce) box white mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
¼ cup flour
3 cups 1% milk
1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
½ pound whole wheat egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas, thawed
4 (6-ounce) cans chunk light tuna in water, drained
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place bread in food processor and pulse for 30 seconds into
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and
garlic and cook, stirring, until onions are soft and translucent,
about 8 minutes. Add celery and cook, stirring, until just tender,
about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until mushrooms
release their water, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add flour all at once and stir immediately and vigorously with
a wooden spoon until flour is completely incorporated into
vegetable mixture and there are no flour lumps. Add milk and broth,
stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil, stirring
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring, until liquid has
thickened and reduced by about ½ cup, 7 to 8 minutes. Add salt and
pepper and stir to combine.
- Combine cooked pasta, vegetable-liquid mixture, broccoli, peas
and tuna and toss to incorporate.
- Pour into a 13- x9-inch casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until crumbs are golden brown.
See more of 's stories here.