Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
By Samantha Schultz
This recipe has been adapted from Twirl and
Taste by Samantha Schultz for her family and Chicago Parent
This tested and approved Pinterest recipe is easy to make and perfect for wintry Chicago days or sick kids.
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery, remove ribs and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 head of fresh broccoli & 16 oz. frozen broccoli
- Roux (equal parts butter & flour, cooked until slightly
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups half and half
- Shredded cheese for garnish
- Cook onions & celery in butter until softened.
- Add broccoli & broth, simmer 15 minutes until soft (it will
be breaking apart!)
- Meanwhile, prepare your roux in a separate pan and add to soup,
along with salt, pepper to taste and your half & half. Let it
simmer for a bit, allowing it to thicken and disk all along.
- When ready, serve at your convenience (including cheese).