- Home >
- Recipes >
- Cranberry-apple tart with chocolate walnut crust
Cranberry-apple tart with chocolate walnut crust
Using fresh fruit and bittersweet chocolate keep this tart treat on our "healthy holiday" list. A great way to use up the bushels of apples you picked this fall and a fun alternative for those pumpkin pie-haters this Thanksgiving.
Chocolate Tart Dough
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 6 oz. walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 oz. sugar
- 2 oz. egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 12 oz. cranberries
- 7 oz. sugar
- 5 oz. apples (preferably a tart, crisp variety, peeled and
For chocolate-walnut tart
- Melt chocolate gently on top of a double boiler.
- Combine sugar, egg whites and salt. Whisk thoroughly to
completely disperse sugar and break down proteins in egg
- Whisk melted chocolate into egg white mixture.
- Fold chopped walnuts into chocolate-egg white mixture.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30
- Press evenly into 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, until completely set.
For cranberry-apple jam:
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil.
- Add cranberries and cook until they begin to pop and
- While cooking cranberries, peel and slice apples.
- Add sliced apples to cranberries after removing cranberry jam
from heat; the residual heat will complete the cooking
- Pour into fully baked chocolate shell and chill
- Slice tart into 12 pieces.
Yield: One 9-inch tart (12 servings at about 3 oz.