Chef Fedorko's Pumpkin Mousse Pie
Chef Robert Fedorko, the culinary mastermind behind the menu at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa in Lake Geneva, says this recipe should serve 6-8 people, but it'll end up being more like 2-4. Yeah, it's that good.
See more Thanksgiving recipes from Chicago chefs
- 5 oz. graham crackers
- 5 oz. Oreo cookie crumbs
- 6 oz granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. citrus zest
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
- 3 large egg whites, well chilled
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 335 degrees.
- Transfer crumbs to a mixing bowl and add the butter and stir
with a spoon until combined.
- Firmly press mixture into the bottom and just up the sides of a
10-inch tart pan or several 2, 3 or four inch pans. Bake the large
crust for 10- 12 minutes and the smaller crust for 6-8 minutes
until the crust is form and set. Set aside to cool at room
temperature. This step can be done up to 24 hours in advance.
- Using a small bowl, add the apple juice and sprinkle gelatin
into the liquid, do not blend and gently warm the gelatin on the
stove to melt. This will be added to the pumpkin mixture.
- Use an electric mixer with a whish attachment or a hand blender
fitted with the same, beat the egg whites on medium-low speed until
fluffy and set aside.
- Refresh the mixer and add the heavy cream to the bowl and whip
the cream to soft peaks form. Add ¾ cup of sugar and continue to
blend while adding the gelatin until firm peaks form.
- Add the pumpkin puree to a large bowl and add the remaining
cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, salt, Aplle juice-gelatin
mixture and sour cream and blend well.
- Gently fold in the whipped egg whites and the whipped cream
until just blended.
- Spoon the filling into the crust and refrigerate 3- 4 hours,
overnight or until set.
- Before serving whisk heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and
vanilla in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Artfully spoon the cream on top of the pie or tart and dust
with shaved chocolate, cinnamon or nutmeg.