Real buckeyes are tree nuts. These cookie buckeyes are peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. #5 on the AllRecipes.com top 10 cookie recipes for Chicago holiday 2011.
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter,
vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll
into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie
- Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used
later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm,
about 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set
over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until
- Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto
the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at
the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie
sheet and refrigerate until serving.