All your favorite breakfast items, tossed in a 13x9-inch baking pan and served up with a smile, and maybe a cup of coffee for mom and dad. For a vegetarian option, try substituting your favorite soy sausage for the meat or a slice of avocado on top.
- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread, cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat
until sausage is no longer pink; drain and cool. In a large bowl,
beat the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in
the bread cubes, cheese and sausage mixture. Pour into a 13-in. x
9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near
the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 211 calories, 11 g fat
(5 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 690 mg sodium, 13 g
carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 15 g protein.
See more of 's stories here.