Baked Tofu Rigatoni
From writer Caitlin Murray Giles, who tested this out in her own kitchen: "Despite initial skepticism over the tofu, my family gave this dish a thumbs up. The tofu seemed very similar to the ricotta normally found in a baked rigatoni dish."
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes with juice, chopped
- 12 ounces firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 box rigatoni
- 2 cups low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan on
medium heat. Sauté onion for five minutes. Add chopped garlic and
cook for three more minutes. Add chopped tomatoes with juices.
Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes,
- In a blender, combine tofu, egg, nutmeg, salt and pepper and
process until smooth.
- Cook box of rigatoni in salted boiling water according to
instructions on package and drain.
- In a large bowl, combine rigatoni, tofu mixture, tomato sauce
and chopped basil. Transfer to a 9 by 13 baking dish, lightly
coated with olive oil. Sprinkle both cheeses over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is browning and