Chicago Parent honored in national awards competition
Wednesday, February 06, 2013
Chicago Parent's work has been honored as a finalist for outstanding achievement in 11 categories in this year's Parenting Media Association Design & Editorial Awards competition.
More than 745 entries were received in 39 categories. Out of the finalists, a gold and silver winner will be announced at this year's PMA Annual Convention in Atlanta, Ga., March 9. Winners in the general excellence categories also will be announced at the awards banquet.
In the design categories, led by Art Director Claire Innes, Chicago Parent is a finalist in overall design and front cover illustration for last February's sex issue illustration by Tom Deja, Going Places (holiday issue) is a finalist in ancillary overall design and for ancillary cover (summer issue) photographed by Senior Editor Liz DeCarlo.
In the editorial categories, in addition to being named a finalist in overall writing for Chicago Parent and overall writing for Chicago Special Parent, finalists include:
- Column: Child Development and Parenting Issues: Good Sense Eating, by registered dietitian Christine Palumbo
- Column: Humor, by Christopher Garlington
- Interview, The State of the City, November, by Caitlin Murray Giles
- News Feature, How small is too small?, May, by DeCarlo
- General Feature Writing, Bravery, August, by DeCarlo
- Special Series, Social mobility series, September-November, by Robyn Monaghan
- Ancillary Feature, Chicago Special Parent, Love, Marriage and Special Needs, by Monaghan
"Everything we do is with our readers firmly in mind. I'm thrilled the judges recognize the efforts we make to give our readers excellent magazines and an information-packed website," Editor Tamara L. O'Shaughnessy says.