Brew and bewitch as you get into the spirit for Halloween. These
witches' brooms are made simply from paper lunch bags and a stick,
yet will help you fly to new haunted heights.
Stuff them with your favorite candy or charms and give them as
party favors at your costume-filled celebrations. They are great
for decoration around the house, too. Either way, these witches'
broomsticks will cast their spell and get you in the mood for
tricks and treats.
1. Collect a variety of sticks to use as your brooms. Look for
sticks that are 1 to 1½ feet long and ½ inch wide. The thicker the
branch, the better, but make sure the sticks aren't too heavy.
2. For each broomstick, you'll need two lunch-size brown paper
bags. Unfold the first bag and push out its base to create the
3. Using scissors, cut the first bag into thin strips all around
the four sides, stopping at least ½ inch short of the base of the
bag. Strips should be between ¼ and ½ inches wide.
4. Take the second bag and cut thin strips into the top inch of
5. Open both of the bags and place the second bag inside the
6. Fill the second bag with candy. (If using for decoration
only, you might want to put a few rocks to keep the bag weighted
7. Insert your stick of choice into the bag to make the
broomstick your desired length.
8. Wrap the first bag around the second bag. Cinch the tops of
both bags and the stick with a rubber band. The rubber band will
help secure the stick in place.
9. Cut a piece of twine and wrap it over the rubber band and tie
into a knot.
See more of Megan's stories here.
What to do with your weekend, delivered every Thursday.
Great deals and chances to win prizes, delivered every Monday.
Exclusive offers from our partners,usually delivered twice a week.
Resources for parents of children with special needs,delivered the second Tuesday each month.