Last November we packed up two vans, 14 family members and some extra sweatshirts to head downtown for the BMO Harris Magnificent Mile Lights Festival. We'd been down there before, and as native Chicagoans, we should have realized some of the headaches we'd run into, but unfortunately this day we decided to wing it.
If you're planning to head to the festival on Nov. 21, here are a few tips we should have remembered.
1. Dress for very cold weather-even if it's not cold when you start out from home.
2. If you want a front row seat, get there early. The people in the front rows with the best views were there four or more hours ahead of time.
3. Try to get a location near an open store or something like Starbucks to warm up, use the bathroom and get hot cocoa.
4. Stay for the fireworks! Hearing the percussive sounds echoing off buildings and the brilliant lights reflecting throughout downtown was the best part of the day.
5. Park far away, if possible. It was worth the walk to get on the road home quickly.
6. Have fun! Chicago's holiday season has officially begun.
Liz DeCarlo is the former senior editor at Chicago Parent.
See more of Liz's stories here.
Let us plan your weekend with the best family events and activities in Chicagoland.
Start the week right with deals, prizes, parent life hacks and more delivered straight to your inbox.
Need last-minute ideas for a weekend of family fun? No worries. We've got you.
Get the inside scoop on the people, places and things we are loving right now.
Resources, tips, inspiration and more for parents of children with special needs.
Score exclusive offers from our fabulous advertisers.