Your lifeIf you’re introducing your family to the term "staycation" this spring break, you may need a few spoonfuls of sugar to help the medicine go down. Here’s some ideas to make the best of break:
1. A Family Film Festival. Make your kids’ movie viewing into a special event. Choose an unusual theme for a one-week film festival like Charlie Chaplin, Shirley Temple or Abbott and Costello flicks. Learn a bit about the genre, watch the films together and then follow it up with a related activity and discussion. And don’t forget the popcorn and movie candy.
2. Country mouse/city mouse. Have a mom friend in the city or suburbs that you haven’t seen in a while? Plan a few days and a sleepover in each other’s spaces. Show them all the fun stuff you do in your neighborhood and then be a guest in their neck of the woods.
3. Progressive playmates. Join forces with a couple of other homebound families and organize a day or two where the kids hop from house to house. Plan one fun activity for each home, a simple snack and some playtime. You’ll be the ringleader for a few hours and have a few hours to yourself as well.
4. One night only. One good thing about a bad economy is some great deals on lodging. Check with some local hotels and see what they’re offering for a one-night stay. Pick one with an indoor pool, order pizza and top the night off with an in-room movie.
5. Volunteer for something. Feeling sorry for your stay-at-home selves? This is the perfect time to show your kids just how fortunate they are. Explore some kid-friendly ways to help out in your own neighborhood. For example, younger kids can make a cheerful card for an elderly neighbor while older siblings organize a book drive or bake some treats for the local firefighters.
Let us plan your weekend with the best family events and activities in Chicagoland.
Start the week right with deals, prizes, parent life hacks and more delivered straight to your inbox.
Need last-minute ideas for a weekend of family fun? No worries. We've got you.
Get the inside scoop on the people, places and things we are loving right now.
Resources, tips, inspiration and more for parents of children with special needs.
Score exclusive offers from our fabulous advertisers.