Short stuff: Education
It's never an easy choice. This is a partnership you'll be stuck in
for years so it's natural to feel nerve-wracked. School is where
abilities are strengthened, where creativity is fostered, where
lifelong friendships are formed. Your choice will affect your
child's life well beyond graduation. It's no wonder that choosing a
school can be one of the most daunting tasks you'll face as a
Keep this questionnaire in mind
as you make your final decision. There are no right or wrong
answers. What works for your child may not work for another, hence
a careful, personal examination of potential schools is key.
• Visit the school during regular school hours. Do you feel
welcome? Do the students look happy to be there?
Distance: How is the commute? Now imagine a blustery, snowy day:
is it still feasible?
Transportation: what services are available?
• Is the school reflective of the rich diversity of
• Do the children wear uniforms?
• What is the school's discipline code?
Request the school mission and vision statement. All members of
the school body should be working toward common goals.
Teachers and administration
• Do the teachers take part in regular professional
• Is time set aside for teachers to share and
n Are teachers and administrators easily accessible by phone and
• What percentage of teachers possess M.A. degrees?
• What percentage of teachers are National Board
Social and emotional learning
• How does the school foster relationships of respect and
kindness among students?
• Is there an anti-bullying curriculum in place?
• Can kids take part in a student government/council?
• Check out the school library: Are available media
materials current? Is the space accessible and comfortable?
• Is the cafeteria clean and inviting?
• Is a tutoring program in place for students facing
• How many school counselors and social workers are on
Before and after school
• Drop in on before- and afterschool programs. Is the
environment nurturing and welcoming? Is there an organized schedule
of activities in place? Do the hours work with your schedule?
• Pick up a school calendar. What types of social and
sporting events are offered during evenings and weekends?
• What type of after-school clubs are offered?
• Is the curriculum challenging?
• How does the school incorporate the arts?
• How much homework can a child expect per night, for each
• Is the curriculum balanced? How much time is spent
daily/weekly on each content area?
• What high schools do graduating students tend to
• Regarding assessments and grades, what standards are in
place? Request a copy of a current progress report and report
• Test scores aren't everything, but do yearly statistics
demonstrate consistent and continuous gains?
• Drop in on a class. Are the students actively engaged in
a learning activity?
• Does the school embrace technology? How is technology
incorporated into the curriculum?
• Is foreign language instruction offered as part of the
daily curriculum or as an after-school program?
• What type of student work is on display?
• What is the average class size per grade?
• What partnerships does the school have in place with the
• What evidence of parent/student communication exists?
Request a newsletter or classroom bulletin in the main office.
• Is the PTA active?
• Talk to the parents of current students and ask, "What
do you love about your child's school? What needs improving?"
Healthy kids equal happy kids
• Do the school cafeteria and vending machines offer
• Do the children get adequate outdoor/indoor play
• How much time per day/week is allotted for recess and
• Are team sports offered?
• Is the school clean and well-kept? Bright and
Let us plan your weekend with the best family events and activities in Chicagoland.
Start the week right with deals, prizes, parent life hacks and more delivered straight to your inbox.
Need last-minute ideas for a weekend of family fun? No worries. We've got you.
Get the inside scoop on the people, places and things we are loving right now.
Resources, tips, inspiration and more for parents of children with special needs.
Score exclusive offers from our fabulous advertisers.