Go banana crazy
Monday, July 27, 2009
Out and about
To win "The Wiggles: Go Bananas" on DVD, readers shared their favorite banana recipes. Many like banana smoothies, banana splits, banana bread, banana muffins with chocolate chips and peanut butter, banana and fluff sandwiches.
Here are two other fun answers sure to bring a smile:
"Our favorite banana recipe is frozen chocolate-covered bananas. You will need two ripe bananas, four wooden sticks, 1/3 cup hot fudge and ½ cup granola cereal without raisins. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper. Peel bananas, cut in half crosswise. Insert stick into center, about 1½ inches. Place on baking sheet and freeze until firm, about two hours. Put the granola in a large plastic bag and crush using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Put onto a shallow plate. Put fudge in a shallow dish. Take the bananas out of the freezer and one at a time, roll in the fudge and then roll in the granola. Immediately place back on the baking sheet and return to the freezer for another two hours. Once you are ready to eat, take out of the freezer and let stand five minutes before serving. This is a great recipe for younger kids to get involved."
"My favorite banana recipe is prepared this way:
1. Peel a banana to give to your 2½-year-old daughter.
2. Break the banana in half. Give your daughter the half with the peel.
3. Pick that one up off the floor as she throws it down and asks for the other part.
4. Pick the remains of that one off the floor as she only takes two bites.
5. Put both pieces in fridge and try to feed it to her later. Toss in two weeks when cleaning out the fridge of the other half-eaten bananas."
Annette De Angelis