Financial literacy especially important now
Friday, March 20, 2009
In the current economy, kids have a lot of questions about finances. This year, for Money Smart Week April 18-25, the Chicago Money Smart Kid can help provide some of the answers.
Myles Gage, a freshman at the University of Chicago Lab School, is a member of the Ujamma Junior Investment Club.
To ask a question, visit the Money Smart discussion forum at ChicagoParent.com or e-mail the discussion board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents also can post their own questions for a financial planner. Questions and responses are screen by a certified financial planner.
Posting a question immediately enters your child into a drawing for a $50 savings bond from the Economic Awareness Council.
Use the activities on this page and at ChicagoParent.com to get the money conversation started in your home.
Click here to
download a .pdf of a Penny Saved crossword puzzle
Click here to download a .pdf of the crossword puzzle answers
Click here to download a .pdf of a Penny Saved coloring page
Click here to download a .pdf of Penny Pinchers
Click here to download a .pdf of a Penny Saved" A Silly Story
Color me happy that you're saving!
id you know eating in for one meal instead of going to restaurant can save one person an average of $1,000 a year? Find three more ways your family can save:
My family can save
1. President _______'s image is on the penny.
3. If you bring your lunch to work or school each day, a typical person will save over ___ ________ dollars.
5. The Lincoln ________ is on the back of the five dollar bill.
6. You can earn money called ________ when you have a savings account
7. A penny _____ is a penny earned.
2. You earn 6-down when you save money in a ____.
4. On average, individuals with a college degree earn one _______ dollars more than those without a degree over their lifetime.
6. The Federal Depository Insurance Corporation (FDIC) _______ deposits in FDIC insured bank accounts to keep your money safe.
8. President Lincoln's image is on the ____ dollar bill.
9. President Lincoln said that _________ was "the most important subject which we as a people can be engaged in."