Chicago Parent brought home 17 awards from the national Parenting Publications of America annual editorial and design awards, presented in March.
In judging the magazine against its peers in the 55,000 and up circulation category, judges recognized Chicago Parent’s extensive calendar, well-reported stories, its photographs and illustrations and design.
Chicago Baby was named best ancillary publication while Chicago Special Parent won two gold awards for its writing.
Gold awards went to:
• Front Cover/Newsprint: Original Photo—Photo editor Frank Pinc and Art Director Rebecca Lomax.
• Front Cover/Newsprint: Original Illustration—Illustrator Tom DeJa and Lomax.
• Overall Use of Photography—A team effort by Lomax, designers Mark Tatara, Bethany Vogelsberg and Hollie Benedik, Photo Editor Frank Pinc and photographer Josh Hawkins.
• Personal Essay—Writer Jennifer Wheeler.
• Ancillary Feature Design—Chicago Baby, Fall 2008, designed by Lomax.
• Ancillary Feature Writing—Chicago Special Parent, Jerry Davich.
• Ancillary Overall Writing—Chicago Special Parent
• Ancillary General Excellence—Chicago Baby, Fall 2008
• Calendar of Events (design)—Chicago Parent, Vogelsberg
Silver awards went to:
• Short Stuff/Briefs
• Columns: Reviews—Fred Koch.
• News feature—Former Chicago Parent intern Emmalee Miller.
Bronze awards went to:
• Overall Reporting
• Interior Illustration (Original)—Illustrator Stephanie Beischer.
• General Feature Writing—Liz DeCarlo
• Ancillary Overall Design—Chicago Baby, Fall 2008
• Calendar of Events