School bus safety rules to know
Friday, July 20, 2007
Parents can help keep their kids safe this school year by teaching them to follow a few tips:
• Make sure there are no drawstrings, toggles or key chains on clothes or backpacks, which can get caught on bus handrails and doors.
• Find a seat and sit down immediately. Wait for the bus to stop completely before standing up.
• Take 10 giant steps away from the bus when you get off.
• If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up. The driver may not see you. Instead, ask the driver for help.
• If you have to cross the street, wait until the driver signals to you that it is OK.
• Stay away from the bus wheels at all times—especially the back wheels.
Source: Laidlaw Education Services of Naperville