Parents can help keep their kids safe this school year by teaching them to follow a few tips:
• Make sure there are no drawstrings, toggles or key chains on clothes or backpacks, which can get caught on bus handrails and doors.
• Find a seat and sit down immediately. Wait for the bus to stop completely before standing up.
• Take 10 giant steps away from the bus when you get off.
• If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up. The driver may not see you. Instead, ask the driver for help.
• If you have to cross the street, wait until the driver signals to you that it is OK.
• Stay away from the bus wheels at all times—especially the back wheels.
Source: Laidlaw Education Services of Naperville
Let us plan your weekend with the best family events and activities in Chicagoland.
Start the week right with deals, prizes, parent life hacks and more delivered straight to your inbox.
Need last-minute ideas for a weekend of family fun? No worries. We've got you.
Get the inside scoop on the people, places and things we are loving right now.
Resources, tips, inspiration and more for parents of children with special needs.
Score exclusive offers from our fabulous advertisers.