Recall roundup

Toddler dies after swallowing toy magnets


 
 
 
Some retailers have voluntarily removed the popular Magnetix toys from their shelves while the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission investigates the report of a death in Washington state.

A 2-year-old boy swallowed parts of the toy that contain magnets. Though swallowed at separate times, the two magnets linked in his intestines and caused a blockage that led to septic shock. The safety commission is investigating the death. Parents should take special precautions to keep older children’s toys from younger siblings, especially those containing small parts that might cause choking or be ingested.

Recent recalls:

Aspen 3 in 1 Cribs. These cribs, manufactured by Simplicity Inc. and sold under the Graco trademark, were recalled because screws on the wooden mattress support can come loose, causing a suffocation hazard. The company reported 14 incidents, including eight entrapments and five injuries. If you have this crib, stop using it until you can get a retrofit kit from Simplicity. All cribs should be checked often for loose or missing hardware.

REI children’s bikes. Fatigue failure can cause part of the frame to break off, leading to crashes and injuries. REI has four reports of crashes caused by the frame failure of Novara Dirt Rider 20-inch 5-speed and 6-speed bicycles.

Advantage Publishers’ board books. These books have plastic bubble windows containing small beads. If the plastic breaks, the beads and plastic parts can pose a choking hazard. There has been one reported incident of a child accessing the beads.

Mini Learning Cube toys. These toys, sold at Target, have wooden pegs that can come loose and present a choking hazard. The company reports three known incidents including one requiring an emergency room visit.

Kids II Bounce Bounce Baby! door jumper. These infant jumpers have a plastic clamp that can break, causing the product to fall. Kids II has nine reports of product failures including three injuries.

Chuck E. Cheese whistles. These prizes from Chuck E. Cheese have small parts that can come loose and cause a child to choke. The company reports seven incidents where kids have choked on or swallowed the small part.

To report a problem with a product or to see the complete list of recalls, visit www.cpsc.gov.

Nancy A. Cowles Executive director, Kids in Danger www.kidsindanger.org

 
 







 
 
 
Copyright 2014 Wednesday Journal Inc. All rights reserved. Chicago web development by liQuidprint