Nursing pillows, water toys, kitchen appliances and more :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Two companies have voluntarily recalled more than 9,000 maternity and nursing pillows. Made by Theraline and Boston Billows, the pillows have a loose fabric covering and are filled with plastic beads. They are soft and can suffocate a baby by enveloping the face. No child should be left unattended on a nursing pillow.
Nancy Cowles, executive director of Chicago-based Kids In Danger, says that although infant pillows and cushions are banned under federal law, there are no industry standards for nursing pillows. "I think there should be standards for every children's product," she says.
Nursing pillows should be firm so the baby cannot press into it, Cowles says. Even if there were standards, there is no U.S. requirement nor does any department or group police companies to see if their products meet standards.
The following list is a sampling of the products recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission from Aug. 12 to Sept. 9. A complete list of recalled children's products is available at www.chicagoparent.com. For more information, call (800) 638-2772 or visit www.cpsc.gov.
Furniture and appliances • Kid's Essentials Five-Piece Folding Furniture Set, Meco. The paint on the chair contains high levels of lead, which may poison a child.
• Freestanding ranges, double ovens and oven-microwave combinations, Whirlpool. All of the Whirlpool and KitchenAid brands of appliances use faulty wiring and may shock the user.
• Lascal "Buggy Board" stroller attachment, Regal Lager. The red pins that connect the board to the stroller may break, causing the rider to fall.
Toys and recreation • Schwinn-brand Toddler Bicycle Helmets, PTI Sports. The helmets do not meet safety standards for crashes.
• Super Soaker Monster Rocket, Hasbro. The cap on the water tank can fly off and strike a child. Also, the rocket tail can hit a child during descent.
• Astroslide Inflatable Water Slides, Aviva Sports. Rope attached to the safety mat is too long, and children may become entangled and drown.
• Baby Björn Baby Carrier Active, Regal Lager. The back buckles that connect to the shoulder straps may detach, causing the child to fall.
Clothing • Get-Go and Little Get-Go Children's Athletic Shoes, Nike. The rubber sole of the shoe can fall off and possibly choke a child.
What to do with your weekend, delivered every Thursday.
Great deals and chances to win prizes, delivered every Monday.
Exclusive offers from our partners,usually delivered twice a week.
Resources for parents of children with special needs,delivered the second Tuesday each month.