Valentines made with love
Buy it in a box and it's fine. But let the children make it themselves and it just feels good. Handmade valentines are both easy and economical to make, and this step-by-step guide will help your child create a special greeting for classmates or family.
For 12 valentines, you will need:
12 sheets of red card stock
6 sheets of pink card stock
12 white doilies
1 pack of heart stickers
Glitter pens in red, pink or pearl
Scissors, tape and glue
• Fold each sheet of red card stock in half vertically, and write your message or the child's signature inside.
• Trace and cut a 5-inch x 5-inch heart onto each pink sheet.
• Now repeat that step but cut a smaller 3-inch x 3-inch heart onto each doily.
• Glue the doily heart onto the pink heart, then adhere the layered hearts onto the card.
• Using your glitter pen, draw tiny dots, x's or o's on the cover.
• Add a heart sticker on the white doily.
• When the glitter is dry, place your cards inside a large envelope. Now your child is ready to deliver.
The best part of crafting together? Years from now, when your child finds this Valentine, tucked in an old shoebox and yellowed with time, she will remember you crafted it together.
-- Diane Hardy
Let us plan your weekend with the best family events and activities in Chicagoland.
Start the week right with deals, prizes, parent life hacks and more delivered straight to your inbox.
Need last-minute ideas for a weekend of family fun? No worries. We've got you.
Get the inside scoop on the people, places and things we are loving right now.
Resources, tips, inspiration and more for parents of children with special needs.
Score exclusive offers from our fabulous advertisers.