Rather than the traditional homemade ornaments as gifts this holiday season, try this easy and impressive personalized picture snow globe for your friends and family. Shake it up and let this snow globe shimmer for the holidays.
1. Pick a photo of your child to use in the snow globe. A full
body picture works better than just a face. Cut out around the
2. Using the laminate paper pouch, found at any craft or office
supply store, laminate your cutout picture.
3. Once you've laminated the picture, cut out the figure again.
Make sure you leave an edge around the picture so it remains
4. Make a slit in the Styrofoam ball and if necessary, cut it in
half. You also can paint and glitter the ball, but make sure it
dries completely before use.
5. Slide the laminated picture into the ball toward the front so
that it stands up straight. Seal the picture into the slit of the
ball with the hot glue.
6. Then glue the ball on the inside lid of the jar.
7. Check to make sure the embellishments are OK to be in water
and the materials won't dye the water. You may want to soak them in
water beforehand to test.
8. Glue your embellishments around the picture to make a
background scene. Leave enough room around the edge of the lid so
it fits back into the jar. Test to make sure it fits before filling
the jar with water.
9. Next, fill up your jar almost to the top with water. Add
glitter to the water. Large flecks of glitter show up a little
better than fine glitter, but both will work.
10. Add glycerin to the water, which will help the glitter float
a bit slower. Use 2-3 teaspoons of glycerin per cup of water.
11. Now insert the design attached to the lid into the
water-filled jar. Make sure the picture lines up with a smooth
surface of the jar when it's screwed tightly for the best view. You
can put hot glue on the lid to seal it closed once it's in the
See more of Megan's stories here.