1. Pull some pages out of the book.
2. Trace or draw leaf shapes about the same size as your hand onto a book page, varying the shapes if desired. Cut about 25 to 35 leaf shapes from the pages.
3. Tape five to seven leaves to a 28-inch length of twine or ribbon leaving a 3-inch to 5-inch area of the twine empty at the top end.
4. Repeat five to seven times with additional lengths of twine. Make the additional twine pieces slightly longer or slightly shorter for added interest.
5. Wrap the top of the twine around the twig a few times and secure with a knot or with tape. Repeat until the twig is as full as you would like it to be.
6. Cut a piece of twine 36 inches long. Knot each end of the twine to each end of the twig to make a loop for hanging. Hang from a nail on the wall, a hook in the ceiling or even across the top corner of a door.
Variations: Use colorful magazine or catalog pages. Cut out other shapes such as local birds or the shape of your hand (or turn those hands into turkeys).