These little critters are an easy project for preschool-aged children.
- One cardboard egg carton (Styrofoam egg cartons will not work
for this project)
- Poster paints
- Paint brush
- Pipe cleaners
- Adhesive "googly" eyes (optional)
- Glitter glue or other embellishments (optional)
- Cut the top off an egg carton and recycle or save for another
- Cut the bottom part of the carton down the middle into two even
- Paint each "caterpillar" whatever colors you choose and let
dry. Use glitter or other embellishments to decorate. Decide which
side is going to be the "head" of your caterpillar and poke two
holes for antennae.
- Cut a pipe cleaner into a two 3-inch pieces. Knot each piece at
the end and poke through the holes, bending to form antennae.
Attach two adhesive eyes or draw in your own eyes. Set these creepy
crawlers loose in your backyard garden.
Caitlin Murray Giles is a full-time mother of three and part-time freelance writer living in Wicker Park.
See more of Caitlin's stories here.