Top Ten Things I Learned from OprahThursday, May 26, 2011
The Self-Aware Parent
Oprah has taught me so many things over the years, but these are the standouts. She is not the only person to have said these things, and these are not all direct quotes - she is just the great teacher of the lessons.
- Success is preparation + opportunity - we can't just wish for something to happen and then sit around hoping. We have to prepare ourselves (through self exploration, education, new experiences) and then confidently jump on the opportunity when it arises.
- You know better, you do better - a quote from Maya Angelou. Guilt is a waste of precious energy - learn, integrate, forgive, move on.
- Doubt means don't - if you feel doubt, sit on it. Listen to your inner voice, take time for silence and then move forward.
- Worthiness is our birthright - you are worthy simply because you are here. Period.
- Practice gratitude - give thanks for what you have, because even if times are tough, you always have something to be thankful for.
- Know you have a calling - we all came into the world with a gift or a calling. Figure out what it is and live from that place.
- Take responsibility for your own life - at some point you have to stop blaming and start living. Get to know yourself, appreciate who you are, and find your joy.
- Listen and validate - children and adults need to know they are heard and understood. It's the greatest gift you can give.
- Get a bra that fits - it's important.
- Give back - offer your gifts to the world. We are here to support and love each other.
Thank you Oprah…..blessings as you continue down the yellow brick road.