I have the perfect recipe for this weekend as the temperature
finally cools down - Buttermilk Blueberry Cake! Once again, I have
substituted out some of the not-so-healthy ingredients like butter
and added in healthy alternatives. No one will miss the heaping
amount of butter or loads of sugar usually found in buttermilk
My kiddos measured and counted (utilized math skills), poured
and stirred (strengthened their tiny muscles). They were ecstatic
about baking a breakfast cake!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, applesauce and
yogurt with lemon zest and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy.
2. Add egg and vanilla.
3. Toss blueberries with ¼ cup of flour (this prevents the
blueberries from sinking to the bottom), then whisk together the
remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to batter, alternating with the buttermilk.
Fold in the blueberries.
5. Grease a 9-inch baking pan with baking spray.
6. Spread batter into pan.
7. Sprinkle the top of the batter with 2 tablespoons of
8. Bake 35-40 minutes. Allow cake to cool before serving.
Mandy is a mom of two children, who hopes to inspire families to have fun in the kitchen together.
See more of Mandy's stories here.
What to do with your weekend, delivered every Thursday.
Great deals and chances to win prizes, delivered every Monday.
Exclusive offers from our partners,usually delivered twice a week.
Resources for parents of children with special needs,delivered the second Tuesday each month.