Honey Cashew Chicken recipe for a healthy family dinnerFriday, May 17, 2013
Kids in the Kitchen
Thursday was a VERY LONG day! I had one child home sick and one child home not sick. Lucky me, we all stayed home! By the end of the day, I had washed four loads of laundry, watched way too much Dora the Explorer and Curious George, gave my kids two baths, begged my husband to come home early from work, and could not wait to cook dinner. (I am serious, I look forward to cooking!)
As my son's fever broke (finally), he started to feel better, regained his appetite, and asked for chicken! For me, cooking makes everything better! As I started chopping and both kids pushed chairs over to see what I was doing, I felt a sense of calm. They helped mix the sauce and stir the vegetables.
I was happiest when my son was better. He had two servings of chicken! My daughter ate her entire plate, and my husband put both kids to bed! The day turned out okay after all!
Honey Cashew Chicken Recipe
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lbs chicken breasts- cut into bite size pieces (cooking scissors are easiest)
- 1 red pepper- chopped
- 1 broccoli bunch- chopped
- ¼ cup cashew pieces
1. Take out one large pan for the vegetables and one medium pan for the chicken.
2. In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil.
3. On medium high heat, spray large pan with cooking spray and add chopped vegetables and cashews. Pour ½ of sauce on top of veggies and turn heat to medium. Cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Heat the medium pan on medium high heat, spray oil and add chicken pieces. Pour remaining sauce on top of chicken. Sauté chicken for 6-8 minutes or until chicken looks golden in color.
5. Once chicken is cooked, transfer to vegetable pan, stir on medium for 1 minute.
Any vegetables taste delicious with this dish. Have your family decide what vegetables they want to use for the recipe and make it your own! This dish pairs perfectly with brown rice, quinoa, or a baked sweet potato.