Sugar cookie recipe with a healthy twistFriday, March 08, 2013
Kids in the Kitchen
When I walked in the door yesterday evening, my kids were ready for an activity! My son suggested we bake sugar cookies. This sounded like the perfect sweet treat! My family is a chocolate house; however, this sugar cookie recipe is sure to please even chocolate lovers.
My son used his warm hands to soften the butter (until he said the butter was too mushy and gross) while my daughter poured in the ingredients. They fought over the rolling pin, but the rest of our baking was smooth sailing!
This baking activity is even better than most because your family's creativity comes into play. My son preferred the variety of cookie cutters and my daughter invented her own shapes. They got their hands sticky, learned to share the rolling pin, and best of all, had fun using their imagination!
When my son tasted the frosting, he declared it tasted just like Sweet Mandy B's (one of my favorite Chicago bakery's frosting)! It is not easy to make sugar cookies nutritious but I added Greek yogurt to the recipe for a healthy twist- and gives these cookies a fluffy and soft middle! The homemade frosting will melt in your mouth! What shapes will your family create?!
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- ½ cup (or 1 stick) unsalted butter- softened to room temperature
- ½ cup 2 % Greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ¾ cup white flour
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together butter, yogurt, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Add baking soda, flour and salt. Mix.
- Lightly dust parchment paper with flour and spread on cookie dough a little under ¼ inch thick. Using a rolling pin is easiest to flatten the dough and my kids loved it!
- Create shapes of your own or use cookie cutters.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edge of the cookies start to turn a golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool before frosting and decorating.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tablespoons low fat milk
- food coloring if you want colored frosting
- Combine all ingredients until smooth.
- Spread on cookies!