Recipe for Sunshine Cake Muffins with lemons and Greek yogurtFriday, June 21, 2013
Kids in the Kitchen
Here is an easy way to brighten anyone's day!
My kids had fun baking and eating them, my Greek yogurt was about to expire, and my husband enjoyed a muffin after our beef fried rice made with quinoa.
These muffins are perfect for entertaining, light enough for a daytime treat, and sweet enough for dessert.
Simple Sunshine Muffins
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (use zest from one of the lemons you used for the lemon juice)
- 2 lemons or about ¼ lemon juice- preferably fresh squeezed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 big pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 lemon or about 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp low fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine oil, yogurt, sugar, vanilla, eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds. Mix.
4. Pour batter into paper muffin cups, about ¾ full, and bake for 26-30 minutes.
5. Once muffins are finished baking, in a saucepan, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk and simmer. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until glaze bubbles.
6. Paint glaze on muffins. The glaze is sticky so use it immediately.