Easy, healthy recipe for Cornbread with StrawberriesFriday, July 12, 2013
Kids in the Kitchen
As I was dreaming up a summery cornbread recipe for a BBQ this weekend, my daughter was giving her princesses time outs. She told me they were making a mess and not cleaning up! (I wonder how she came up with that scenario.)
My daughter, her princesses and I measured and poured the ingredients together for a healthy cornbread. It was my daughter who demanded we add strawberries! We created this quick, easy and healthy Strawberry Cornbread Recipe. What a terrific summer treat! This cornbread tastes amazing with a smear of butter on it and served alongside anything barbecued.
Cornbread with Strawberries
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup fresh strawberries- sliced and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with baking spray and set aside.
- Mix together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Blend strawberries into the batter and then pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Use the clean fork test to determine if the cornbread is cooked through.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing into it.