We were going to another family's house for dinner last night
and were in charge of dessert. I was so excited to pick up cupcakes
from my favorite bakery, but my kids had a different plan in
My sweet kiddos wanted to bake the cupcakes from scratch, and I
am never one to pass up a baking project! We debated about the
flavor and ultimately settled on funfetti for a colorful sweet
treat! This recipe is easy, healthier than your typical cupcake,
My son cracked the eggs and made a complete mess, as usual. My
daughter poured in the ingredients while my son stirred. For
the frosting, both kids insisted on testing it several times! We
had fun slathering on the frosting and decorating with
Ingredients-yields 8 cupcakes
- ¼ cup butter - softened to room temperature or microwave for 20
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- (*or 4 egg whites)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup low fat milk (*or 2% Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the softened butter, applesauce, oil and sugar. Add eggs,
vanilla, baking powder and flour. Stir in milk until the batter is
smooth. Blend in sprinkles.
- Pour batter into muffin pan.
- Bake cupcakes 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden and a fork
inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool before
Classic Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened to room temperature or
microwave for 20 seconds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- a pinch of salt
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla,
milk and salt.
- Frost away and decorate!
Mandy is a mom of two children, who hopes to inspire families to have fun in the kitchen together.
See more of Mandy's stories here.