Recipe for Funfetti Cupcakes with a healthy twistFriday, April 12, 2013
Kids in the Kitchen
We were going to another family's house for dinner last night and were in charge of dessert. I was so excited to pick up cupcakes from my favorite bakery, but my kids had a different plan in mind.
My sweet kiddos wanted to bake the cupcakes from scratch, and I am never one to pass up a baking project! We debated about the flavor and ultimately settled on funfetti for a colorful sweet treat! This recipe is easy, healthier than your typical cupcake, and delicious!
My son cracked the eggs and made a complete mess, as usual. My daughter poured in the ingredients while my son stirred. For the frosting, both kids insisted on testing it several times! We had fun slathering on the frosting and decorating with sprinkles.
Ingredients-yields 8 cupcakes
- ¼ cup butter - softened to room temperature or microwave for 20 seconds
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- (*or 4 egg whites)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup low fat milk (*or 2% Greek yogurt)
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the softened butter, applesauce, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, baking powder and flour. Stir in milk until the batter is smooth. Blend in sprinkles.
- Pour batter into muffin pan.
- Bake cupcakes 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden and a fork inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
Classic Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened to room temperature or microwave for 20 seconds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- a pinch of salt
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla, milk and salt.
- Frost away and decorate!