Christmas means many things to many people.
Here is what Christmas is to our family.
Christmas is ...
- a day to celebrate new birth.
- hoping for snow but never usually getting it.
- singing Silent Night by candlelight at midnight in German.
- stocking stuffer shopping with my mama at Walgreens on
Christmas Eve morning.
- making messes in the kitchen with the kids.
- missing loved ones who have passed on.
- listening to Christmas music while licking the envelopes of
- oranges, peppermint and clove.
- eating spaghetti and meatballs on Christmas Eve.
- having an excuse to have cookies in the kitchen at any given
- opening and listening to the Ashland
University Christmas card with tears in my eyes (2004 is my
- the only time of year I use Karo syrup.
- taking a winter walk on Christmas Eve.
- the clinking of bells from the Salvation Army helpers.
- wrapping presents while the kids are sleeping.
- footie pajamas and morning eyes.
- parties with people you rarely get to see, drinking drinks
that make you happy.
- Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. Google it. Then watch
- sitting in the glow of the tree lights and talking.
- shopping with daddy to buy mommy and the grandparents things
like earrings, perfume and talking reindeers.
- watching movies every night of the week and maybe staying up a
little late on a school night.
These things and more are what Christmas means to our
As we celebrate this blessed season, know that I am thankful for
Kari Wagner is stay-at-home mom by day, superhero by night. She loves to write about her adventures in life, love and decorating.
See more of Kari's stories here.
What to do with your weekend, delivered every Thursday.
Great deals and chances to win prizes, delivered every Monday.
Exclusive offers from our partners,usually delivered twice a week.
Resources for parents of children with special needs,delivered the second Tuesday each month.