As cold, fall rains move in and Chi-Town prepares for 6 months
in the deep freeze, the idea of a tropical island get away is all
the more appealing. Hawaiians not only have beautiful
weather, but a beautiful culture as well. Come down to Shedd
Aquarium tomorrow from 10am-4pm and meet some fascinating people
who have specially flown in from the islands to tell you all about
their homeland and heritage.
ChiIL Mama checked out a bit of Hawaii in Chicago Saturday and met a true artist whose family has made amazing Niihau Shell necklaces for generations. For our full slide show/photo filled feature click here.
Mapuana Beniamina explained how some of the longer, intricate
strands of minuscule shells can take a year to make. And even
the choker length necklaces take hours. After a lifetime of
making them and teaching others, she's relatively fast and can do
about 5 of the shorter necklaces in a day.
Visitors can make a fragrant and beautiful live flower lei. Thousands of fresh orchids were flown in from Hawaii and are available for Shedd guests to string into gorgeous necklaces.
There's no charge for any of the special Hawaiian activities beyond Aquarium admission fees.
Learn about eco-friendly conservation efforts, sea creatures,
whale watching, active volcanoes and more. Taste a variety of
Hawaiian chocolates and cookies. Even take home a packet of
authentic sea salt. Even more exciting...come home with a new
vocabulary, mythology and cultural knowledge from the islands of
DISCOVER HAWAII'S NATURE AND MARINE LIFE AT SHEDD AQUARIUM THIS WEEKEND, OCTOBER 22-23
Celebrate the natural beauty and intriguing marine life of the Hawaiian Islands this weekend at Shedd Aquarium. Learn about Hawaii and enjoy FREE family-friendly activities and treats during this special event. With the regular admission price, guests of the Shedd Aquarium can:
• Enter to win a trip for two to Hawaii, courtesy of Apple Vacations
• Create kahili (feather) crafts, petroglyph rubbings, and art with Hawaii stamps with Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
• Learn from the Pacific Whale Foundation about the humpback whales that migrate to Hawaii in winter months and enjoy other interactive activities
• Explore marine life in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands with representatives from Waikiki Aquarium and make a masked angelfish hat
• Take a look at rare and precious Niihau shells and see how they are strung together to make beautiful jewelry
• Sample delicious treats from Hawaii, including Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts, Kauai Kookies, Waialua Estate Cacao, Lilikoi Malted Eggs, Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels, and Hawaii Kai Salt
• Make a fresh flower lei
• Get a temporary Hawaii-inspired tattoo
• Savor the Hawaii-inspired menu in the Soundings Café and Bubble Net Food Court
• Plan a Hawaii vacation with travel experts from Apple Vacations
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Saturday, October 22 and Sunday, October 23
10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau is contracted by the Hawaii Tourism Authority (HTA), the state of Hawaii's tourism agency, for marketing management services in North America. The HTA was established in 1998 to ensure a successful visitor industry well into the future. Its mission is to strategically manage Hawaii tourism in a sustainable manner consistent with the state of Hawaii's economic goals, cultural values, preservation of natural resources, community desires, and visitor industry needs.
For more information check out gohawaii.com/perfectmoments
Bonnie Kenaz-Mara is a writer-photographer-potter-painter-actress-animal wrangler-general creatrix and Mama to two amazing kiddos.
See more of Bonnie's stories here.