Bookamania, Book Reviews and Give Aways TooFriday, November 18, 2011
Calling all children, ages 3 to 10, and their families to celebrate - BOOKAMANIA!!
Saturday, November 19, 2011
11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Harold Washington Library Center
400 S. State Street
ChiIL Mama, Du-Jay and Sagezilla have gone to Bookamania every year since the kids were toddlers. Every child gets a free book. There are strolling, storybook characters come to life. Loads of authors are present to do book signings. There are fun, book based crafts to make, and entertainment all day long. Check it out. It's free and fun!
Check out the ghosts of BOOKAMANIAs PAST. Click the year for our photo filled features, right here.
GREAT BOOK BONANZA--GIVE AWAYS AND REVIEWS:
We're all about books and reading. In celebration of Bookamania, this month we'll be featuring a number of book reviews and give aways for all ages, from pre-schoolers to adults! So check in at ChiIL Out like we vote in Chi, IL...early and often.
Here's what we've got coming up soon.
The ones with asterisks are reviews
& give aways,
Middle Grade Fantasy: Tragonia--The Sunbow Prophecy & The Ember Rune by K.S. Krueger
**American Girl-Lend a Hand:
Girl Sized Ways of Helping Others
**MP3/Book Combos by Kindie Rockstar, Caspar Babypants (Presidents of the United States frontman, Chris Ballew) and his wife, Kate Endle:
- **Bunny Rabbit in the Sunlight (infant to 5)
- **My Woodland Wish (3 and up)
The Familiars by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
Reckless by Cornelia Funke
Peter Pan's NeverWorld by Peter Von Brown(We gave away two signed copies of this one along with NeverWorld T-Shirts, earlier in the year, but absolutely want to add it to our holiday book list, too.)
**Chicken in the Car and
the Car Won't Go--Nearly 200 Ways to Enjoy Chicagoland With Tweens
and Teens by Melisa Wells (2 signed copies)
**This Beautiful Life by Helen Schulman
**Strawberry Recipes for
Cinderella Ate My Daughter (We gave away 3 copies to readers earlier this year, but this one's fantastic and we want to revisit/repost this right before the holidays. Highly recommended!)
I Want It Now: A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory by the original Veruca Salt
Join us November 19, 2011 for Bookamania! Last year, 4,000+ children and parents came to the Harold Washington Library Center to:
- Meet authors and illustrators
- See performances
- Hear storytellers and musicians
- Create crafts related to books
- Meet favorite book characters
- Schedule of 2011 events
- Join us at the Chicago Public Library for a free
celebration of children's books!
Meet some of your favorite storybook characters:
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Tacky the Penguin
- Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
- Mother Goose
- The Storybook King and Queen
- The Library Owl
Pose for a photograph with Arthur or D.W. and great strolling puppets throughout the building.
Talk with authors and illustrators and make crafts related to their books:
- Eileen Christelow, author of Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed, the signature art of Bookamania 2011
- Nina Crews, author/illustrator of The Neighborhood Sing-Along
- Robert Burleigh, author of The Adventures of Mark Twain by Huckleberry Finn
- Arthur Dorros, author of Mamá and Me
Book sales by Sandmeyer's Bookstore in Printers Row.
Enjoy a variety of performances throughout the day:
Jabberwocky Marionettes presents: Urban Animals and Aquatic Tails
- Performances from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Participate in Goodnight Moon Early Literacy Activities with the Chicago Children's Theatre
- 11:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m.: Master of Ceremonies Chris Fascione
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Jim Gill's Family Room Tour
- 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.: Linda Gorham, storyteller - Folktales and Fairytales: Fractured, Twisted and Updated with Attitude
- 1:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m.: Kalapriya Center for Indian Performing Arts
- 2:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m.: Juggling Funny Stories with Chris Fascione
Thomas Hughes Children's Library
- 11:00 a.m.-11:50 a.m.: Jan's Clan Puppets
- 12:00 p.m.-12:50 p.m.: Lenny Marsh - Rhythm Circle
- 1:00 p.m.-1:50 p.m.: Jasmin Cardenas - Cuentos Aqui, Bilingual Stories
- 2:00 p.m.-2:50 p.m.: Linda Robertson - Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
- Sean Masterson - Magic Up Close
- Storybook King and Queen with the Fairytale Guest Book
State Street Entrance
- Jason Trusty - "Puppet Bike"