When Christmas is over and a new year has arrived I
think most Chicagoans would agree with me when I say that I am so
over winter. Snowflakes, fireplaces and hot chocolate are all well
and good during the holiday season, but once the holiday cheer
comes to an end, so does a Chicagoan's penchant for winter weather.
The true test of how "Chicago tough" you are starts at the very
beginning of January. That's when you find out if you're really cut
out to live in this town.
Do you have what it takes?
Here are eight things Chicagoans know about
1. We can dig our cars out of a foot of snow like a
2. We will wait for the "El" in sub-zero
3. We can layer up to keep warm and still not look
like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story."
4. Our cars are covered with road salt and we will
angrily honk at any pansy driving slower than 25 MPH.
5. Trudging through the slush and snow is what we
6. We will stake our claim to our shoveled parking
spot with lawn furniture and baby toys, and woe is he who lays a
hand on them.
7. We will curse winter from November
through May, then wish for it to return during the
sweltering month of July.
8. We love Chicago, despite it's winter woes, and
wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Keep warm and stay safe, Chicago!
Amanda Ortiz is a full-time working mom to two kids (a teen and a toddler), living in suburban Chicago.
See more of Amanda's stories here.
What to do with your weekend, delivered every Thursday.
Great deals and chances to win prizes, delivered every Monday.
Exclusive offers from our partners,usually delivered twice a week.
Resources for parents of children with special needs,delivered the second Tuesday each month.